Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"Mint Chocolate Chunk!" I Scream - Glace à la Menthe Fraîche et Chunks de Chocolat

When I was 14 years old, I discovered something that altered the rest of my life. Are you ready for this?... Mint ice cream that wasn't green.


I know, this may not seem monumental to you, but it was quite a revelation to my teenage mind. I had always shied away from mint ice cream because of its unnatural green glow, and coming from a family where we seldom ate anything that resembled fast food even though we lived in the US by then, and having a healthy French appreciation of the "natural" color of foods, I just couldn't actually bring myself to try any of those Baskin-Robbins types of mint ice cream that looked like they were fresh off the nearest nuclear power plant. So imagine my surprise when I walked into the Ben & Jerry's store on Main Street in Santa Monica and saw their white mint ice cream. Not only that, but it was mint chocolate chunk. Now, I had always been in love with after-eights ever since I was a little kid, so the combination of mint and chocolate was already my friend. After getting over my initial shock at this totally white mint ice cream before me, I asked for a taste of it and, my friends, my life has not been the same since. It instantly became my favorite ice cream flavor. The bonus to this was that it wasn't sold in supermarkets like other B & J flavors like Chunky Monkey, so there was no chance of my purchasing pint after pint of it and gaining 400lbs or of becoming sick of it. That isn't to say that I didn't visit the Ben & Jerry's store pretty regularly to have some, but I was fairly reasonable about it. A couple of times it came on sale as a special edition in the supermarkets and I confess that on such occasions I bought a couple of pints of it, but overall I can say that I was more than sensible in the quantities I consumed of it.

Flash forward to now. Mint chocolate chunk ice cream is still my favorite ice cream flavor, but now I live in France, where there are Ben and Jerry's stores (it took a while for B&J to implant itself here though) but where for the last two years, it has been absolutely impossible to obtain any mint chocolate chunk ice cream as it isn't available in the stores anymore. I even went so far as to ask the nearest store to my house if I could special order it, but no such luck. Even when I've gone back to the US, I've been unable to find it at B&J stores in Los Angeles and Chicago. I'm starting to think that B&J has discontinued it as a flavor.
Oh mint chocolate chunk ice cream, where have you gone? Finally, when I asked about the special order and was told no, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own mint chocolate chunk ice cream. So I went off in search of a recipe and came upon this one from David Lebovitz's book The Perfect Scoop, which is a recipe for fresh mint ice cream, and what a recipe it is...if you like fresh mint and you like ice cream, you have to try it. I, of course, could not help myself from messing with it, so my adapted version is below, but I am including David's original measurements in italics. I'm also taking this opportunity to participate in Is My Blog Burning's For the Love of Ice Cream Challenge since this is my favorite flavor of ice cream.
I have an ice cream maker, a cheap little Krups that does its job, but some day, mark my words, I'm going for the full electric ice cream maker that you just plug into the wall without freezing any components or doing any weird acrobatics to put the thing together, and then life will be perfect...then it will just be my mint chocolate chunk ice cream and me.


The Recipe - Fresh Mint Ice Cream (with chocolate chunks) adapted from The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments by David Lebovitz (reprinted with his permission)

1 cup whole milk
½ cup sugar - ¾ cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream (I vary the mixture between heavy and whipping cream)
Pinch of salt
3 cups firmly packed fresh mint leaves + 1 tbsp dried peppermint leaves (because I couldn't find fresh peppermint -yes I like it very minty) - 2 cups lightly packed fresh mint leaves
5 large egg yolks
1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (70% Valrhona for me)

Warm the milk, sugar, 1 cup of the cream, and salt in a small saucepan (do NOT let boil, heat over medium heat to be safe). Add the mint leaves and dried peppermint, and stir until they’re immersed in the liquid. Cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour (I leave it even longer).

Strain the mint-infused mixture through a mesh strainer into a medium saucepan. Press on the mint leaves to extract as much of the flavor as possible, then discard the mint leaves.

Pour the remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl, and set the strainer on top. (Set aside).

Rewarm the mint-infused mixture. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mint liquid into the egg yolks, whisking constantly; then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.
Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a heatproof spatula, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula. (You should be able to run your finger down the back of the spatula and leave a clear mark). Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Stir until cool over an ice bath.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator.

Chop the chocolate coarsely.
Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Right before the end of the freezing process, pour the chocolate chunks into the ice cream maker.



En Français...


Quand j'avais 14 ans, j'ai découvert quelque chose qui a changé le reste de ma vie. Vous êtes prêts?... De la glace à la menthe qui n'était pas verte.
Je sais, ça ne doit pas sembler être grand chose pour vous, mais c'était une grande révélation pour mon esprit d'adolescente. J'avais toujours ressenti de l'effroi à la vue du ton vert fluorescent de la glace à la menthe, et venant d'une famille qui ne mangeait pratiquement jamais quoi que ce soit qui ressemblait à du fast food en dépit du faît que nous vivions déjà aux Etats-Unis à l'époque, et ayant une appréciation très française de la couleur "naturelle" des aliments, je n'arrivais pas à me forcer à essayer toutes ces glaces à la menthe du genre "Baskin Robbins" (une des marques de glaces américaine les plus populaires) qui ont l'air d'avoir été confectionné dans la centrale nucléaire la plus proche. Alors imaginez ma surprise lorsque je suis entrée dans un magasin Ben & Jerry's dans Main Street à Santa Monica et que j'ai vu leur glace à la menthe blanche. Et non seulement à la menthe, mais aux chunks de chocolat. Vu que j'avais toujours aimé les after-eight, j'étais déjà copine avec le mélange chocolat-menthe. Après m'être remise du choc inital de la vue de cette glace à la menthe blanche, j'ai demandé à la goûter et, mes amis, ma vie a complètement changé. C'est immédiatement devenu mon goût de glace préféré. Le bonus étant que ce goût particulier n'était pas vendu dans les supermarchés comme des autres goûts de Ben & Jerry's tel que le Chunky Monkey, donc aucun risque que j'en achète litre après litre et prenne 200 kg ou que je m'en fatigue. Je ne veux pas dire par là que je n'allais pas régulièrement au magasin Ben & Jerry's, mais j'étais plutôt raisonnable. Deux ou trois fois , la glace à la menthe a été vendu au supermarché en "édition spéciale" et j'admets qu'à ces moments-là j'en ai acheté deux ou trois litres, mais somme toute je peux dire que j'ai été plus que raisonnable dans ma consommation.

Flash Forward au présent. La glace à la menthe et aux chunks de chocolat est toujours mon goût préféré, mais maintenant j'habite en France, où il y a des magasins Ben & Jerry's (ça leur a mis du temps pour arriver quand même) mais où il m'a été impossible de trouver de la glace menthe-chunks de chocolat ces deux dernières années parce qu'apparemment elle n'est plus disponible. J'ai même demandé au magasin le plus proche si je pouvais faire une commande spéciale, mais pas de chance. Même quand je suis retournée aux Etats-Unis, je n'ai pas pu en trouver dans les magasins B&J à Los Angeles et à Chicago. Je commence à croire que B&J n'en fait plus du tout.
Oh glace à la menthe et aux chunks de chocolat, où es-tu allée? Finalement, le magasin d'à côté m'ayant répondu non, en désespoir de cause, j'ai décidé de me faire ma propre glace à la menthe et aux chunks de chocolat, non mais. Je suis donc partie à la recherche de "la" recette et suis tombée sur cette recette du livre The Perfect Scoop de David Lebovitz (qui est un chef pâtissier américain de grand renom), et quelle recette...si vous aimez la menthe fraîche et la glace, il faut absolument l'essayer. Evidemment, je n'ai pas pu m'empêcher d'y faire quelques retouches, donc ma version adaptée est ci-dessous, mais j'inclus les mesures de David en italique.
J'ai une sorbetière, une petite Krups pas chère qui fait le boulot, mais un beau jour, je vous le garantis, je vais me prendre un grosse glacière électrique qu'on branche tout simplement sans congeler des morceaux ou faire des acrobaties pour l'assembler, et à ce moment-là, la vie sera belle...oui même très belle, car à ce moment-là il n'y aura plus que moi et ma glace à la menthe et aux chunks de chocolat.


La Recette - Glace à la Menthe Fraîche (et aux chunks de chocolat) adapté du livre The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments par David Lebovitz (et présenté avec sa permission)

25 cl de lait entier
125g de sucre - 190g de sucre
50 cl crème fraîche (moi je varie entre liquide et épaisse)
Pincée de sel
75 cl bien tassé de feuilles de menthe fraîche + 1 cuil. à soupe de feuilles de menthe poivrée séchée (parce que je n'arrivais pas à en trouver de la fraîche - oui j'aime ça très mentholée) - 50 cl légèrement tassé de feuilles de menthe fraîche.
5 gros jaunes d'oeufs
250g de chocolat noir (Valrhona à 70% pour moi)

Chauffez le lait, sucre, 25 cl de crème, et le sel dans une petite casserole à feu moyen (ne PAS laisser bouillir). Ajoutez les feuilles de menthe et la menthe poivrée séchée et remuez jusqu'à ce qu'elles soient bien incorporées au liquide. Couvrez, retirez du feu et laissez infuser à température ambiante pendant une heure (moi je laisse même plus longtemps).

Passez le mélange mentholé au tamis dans une casserole de taille moyenne. Pressez sur les feuilles de menthe pour en extraire le maximum de goût, puis jetez-les.

Versez les 25 cl de crème fraîche restant dans un grand bol et posez le tamis dessus. (Pour plus tard).

Réchauffez le mélange mentholé. Dans un bol de taille moyenne, fouettez les jaunes d'oeufs. Versez le mélange mentholé doucement dans les jaunes d'oeufs en fouettant constamment (vous pouvez tempérer les jaunes d'oeufs si vous le souhaitez). Puis reversez le nouveau mélange dans la casserole.
Remuez le mélange constamment avec une spatule à feu moyen, en prenant soin de bien toucher le fond de la casserole, jusqu'à ce que le mélange épaississe et devienne onctueux. (Vous devriez pouvoir laisser une trace droite sur l'arrière de la spatule sans que le mélange coule dedans). Passez le mélange par le tamis et mélangez à la crème. Remuez constamment sur un lit de glaçons jusqu'à refroidissement.
Réfrigérez complètement le mélange (moi je le laisse toute la nuit).

Concassez le chocolat.
Passez en sorbetière et turbinez. Juste avant la fin du procédé, versez les morceaux de chocolat dans la machine.

Bookmark and Share

20 comments:

Renee said...

Summer is certainly ice cream time! I too have the fantasy of owning a heinously expensive electric maker, but I suppose it will have to wait...

I'd always associated green ice cream with mint chocolate chip, but you're right. It is kind of weird to think about.

Alhya said...

il faudrait être sans sensibilité pour ne pas craquer! ou sans gourmandise, de toute façon, j'ai l'un comme l'autre alors oui, je craque!

Mamina said...

Comme dit Alhya, comment ne pas craquer?

Anonymous said...

j'ai moi aussi eu mon moment de doute enfant en ce qui concernait la couleur de ce délicieux parfum de glace...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gosh, this is sinful!

Brilynn said...

I need to make that immediately! I could live off of ice cream alone...

Anonymous said...

So glad you liked the ice cream. Mint and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations too!

Anonymous said...

Breyers never colored their mint ice cream green...
and for commercial ice cream it is really good..but I do much prefer homemade. :)
Next time try making it with oreos... incredible!

Hilda said...

Nan: I am convinced that a fabulous ice cream maker is in both of our futures... ;)

Alhya & Mamina: J'en ai déjà fait trois fois cet été, alors ne pas craquer...pas vraiment mon truc hein... =)

Loukoum: il y a vraiment des versions qui ont l'air radioactives... je n'y touche pas.

Patricia & Brilynn: Thanks for stopping by! I love both of your blogs. And Brilynn, I could live off of ice cream too.

David: The man himself, thank you for writing such a fabulous ice cream book.

Marye: Unfortunately, I don't like oreos very much (I know, blasphemy to some), but I do remember there being a Ben & Jerry's flavor that had them in it although I can't recall the name of it right now.

Anonymous said...

heavenly...my absolute favorite flavor of ice cream

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rollerskate Skinny said...

I am so happy to know that I am not the only person in the world who has wondered if eating mint chocolate chip ice cream will turn me into the ice cream-ified equivalent of spiderman.

Pat said...

I've never been that fond of mint but this weekend I tried an ice cream that had peppermint and chocolate pieces and I actually liked it.

Unknown said...

Ah, but the horrible green color is part of the fun!

poobail said...

Ben & Jerry's rock! Check B&J's website to see if the flavor is in the 'graveyard'. my new fave of theirs is cinammon ice cream with oatmeal cookie and chocolate chunks, can't remember the name right now.

Jeanne said...

Fabulous! But then I can't imagine one of David's recipes not working out great!

Ted said...

Leaving a comment for Haiti.

Anonymous said...

comment comment. thanks for the good work.

Anonymous said...

RTMFH

Related Posts with Thumbnails