Monday, December 20, 2010

A thought on HDR and an Announcement

I am not a fan of HDR at all and feel that, generally speaking, it was originally devised as a solution for the lack of dynamic range available in digital imaging as opposed to film. I think this photograph made under ordinary circumstances, albeit at the right time of day, demonstrates that HDR isn't really necessary unless you're really going for an otherworldly effect or to highlight a particular portion of the image, which is of course what some people use it for though I tend to think that many people do not use it for that purpose.
London Natural History Museum Original Image
It's easy to see the tonal range of an image if you can look at it in black and white. The more tonal values of gray you can identify between black and white (up to 30), the greater the tonal range of your photograph. I'm pleased with this image because I captured a large tonal scale without losing details in the white or getting a milky black.
London Natural History Museum B&W version

The announcement I wanted to make, for those of you who still visit (and I can't say enough how much I appreciate that you do since I haven't been here for months), is that I'm currently working on a complete redesign of the site, which will be relocated to a different address when ready. I'm very excited to be doing this with the very talented Peter Bagi, and can't wait for it to be ready. It may take a while and it will end up being a completely new start, since the site will be more than a blog in many ways, but I think it's worth the work and the wait.

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Deeba PAB said...

Good luck for the new design Hilda. A happy Holiday Season to you all, and little papoose of course! xo

Notes From ABroad said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours, I will be looking forward to seeing your new design.
I fell in love with your blog when I saw that photo of the tree last year !

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Looking forward to seeing your new site, Hilda.
Season's greetings and best wishes for a very happy new year to you all, especially Papoose.

shaz said...

Good luck Hilda, looking forward to visiting. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

so looking forward to seeing what you and peter come up. the picture is an exceptional shot hilda. i too am not a big fan of hdr and as you showed so perfectly - with the right light one can achieve brilliant results.

Heidi Leon Monges said...

Hilda darling, I'm so looking forward to see what the new site is going to be: but knowing your writing, creative and photography skills, I know it will worth the wait.

Feliz Anho Nuevo. Lots of love to you and your lovely family.

Jamie said...

Oh so excited! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do and where you go with the new site! And more of your stunning photography. I loved spending time with the 3 of you in London and think of you often. xo

RamblingTart said...

I'm looking forward to it, Hilda!! So excited to see what creative things you have in store for us. :-)

Finla said...

I am looking forward to see the new look of your place.

Helen said...

I know what you mean about these new-fangled methods. There's nothing you can't achieve with a roll of Kodachrome and time proven dark room methods - except of course the gimmickey photoshop effects.

Related Posts with Thumbnails