Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Egg

Egg 1
The store, not the oval body laid by a chicken or other fowl.
It's just around the corner from where we live and it's such a beautiful store.

For a long time I walked by it without realizing it was a clothing store; it looked like a mysterious room with a big window with a light gray shade behind it and the word egg stenciled onto the glass.
Then, just a few days ago, on a slightly warmer day than usual for this time of year, it was wide open as I walked by with the baby and, as I had my camera on me, I asked if I could take some pictures.
egg 4
The space is a converted stable.
It looked ideal, having that long white table to work on, the fabric, forms and other items strewn about.

The very sweet women who work in there didn't seem to mind at all my taking pictures of them while they worked, perhaps they're used to it.
egg 5
There's another, smaller store across the street but there are no clothes in there.  There's always some sort of interesting installation in it though, perhaps it's the "art exhibit" part of the store.

Maybe it's the artisan nature of the workspace that is so attractive to me.  I'd certainly know how to cover that whole table with "stuff" in a heartbeat: drawing, painting, and crafts supplies, my computer, camera stuff, and piles of paper and other things which my best friend lovingly calls "the filing system" (Hey, I know where everything is in those piles, true story). It would be the perfect place to do collages of the kind Leslie does on her beautiful blog A Creative Mint.
Egg 3
They've changed the collection in the last few days, no more tartans, no more bowler hats for now.
The colors are gorgeous, very rich or very muted, they cover the spectrum, but I haven't seen anything egregious yet.

I love this store, have I mentioned that? It might be the space I love even more than what's in it, but I must admit all the clothes look interesting and different, and I like the layout of it all.
Egg store 4
There's room to see and hear yourself think.

Egg
37 Kinnerton Street,
Belgravia
London, SW1X 8ES
Egg store 3

Bookmark and Share

30 comments:

Y said...

What an unusual store! Love it. I love those cups in the picture too.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

oh i love it - and you know what don't you - you gotta take me there. i am a sucker for plaid dresses and skirts!

Jamie said...

It's beautiful and it so makes me miss working in a workshop! I could stand and watch all day. And I'd so love a colorful bowler!

Deeba PAB said...

Love how you talked through your post Hilda. Brings the rustic place alive & it's so full of depth, so different... in many ways, like you. Had to check 'egg' on the reader! Grabbed my attention. How I'd love to own a workplace like this!

Zurin said...

That last picture summed up the whole description of the store so well. i was completely enchanted and it took my breath away. I love rustic and that is what it appears to be...an old stable... and it looks so fresh and white and to imagine a long work table inside... tq for bringing me there...i had a few wonderful moments. :))

shayma said...

your photography is so beautiful.

Chibog in Chief said...

Love the unusuality of this shop!!

diva said...

oh this store looks precious. i adore bowler hats and tartans shame the collection's changed but i'll definitely have to drop in for a visit. sounds like my kind of quirky shop! x

El said...

The store looks lovely and your photography is just beautiful.

kiss my spatula said...

lovely, lovely photos and egg looks like my kind of store.

Eric Woods said...

so cool

Molly said...

Commenting for Haiti. What a lovely store. Makes me want to go back in time.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks for the opportunity to help out Haiti.

Stacy said...

Commenting for Haiti - gorgeous pictures!

Unknown said...

Now I want to go to London to go to this store. (commenting for Haiti)

Katie said...

What a cute store

Anonymous said...

That's very neat.. I don't think I've seen anything like that in the States.

Patricia said...

Excellent store. I badly want to go there. Do you think I could commute from Vancouver, Canada?

Donating for Haiti...

Leah Wentzel said...

i would love to go there!

Pat said...

It's great that you take photos and teach us about London. It's not a place I know much about.

queencake and titangirl said...

a comment for haiti

Meg Kat said...

What a cozy workspace! Environment is everything when it comes to creating :)

Dbe said...

Looks like a great place, would love to visit.

Unknown said...

Oooo! and prayers for Haiti!

Kat said...

What a fun store

Jeanne @ Cooksister! said...

Gorgeous store - wish we had one of those out in E16 (hahaha!).

Sari @ Cook Your Dream said...

Oh, this is a nice store. I should visit it sometime! :)

Anonymous said...

What an interesting place you've discovered! I think London is a perfect place for "treasures hunting":)

Unknown said...

#Haiti

How beautiful.

This makes me terribly homesick for those years we spent so much of ours lives when my older kids were growing up... In one of your other posts you mentioned time doesn't run it "gallops" - how very true!

Anonymous said...

comment comment. thanks for the good work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails