Friday, June 22, 2007

The Taste of Cherries – Le Goût des Cerises

I had a revelation not too long ago about cherries in things.
Let me explain: I do not like cherries in things. I love them by themselves, but I’ve never liked cakes and pastries with cherries in them. I tried Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia ice cream once and never ate it again. I don’t like traditional English cakes with dried cherries, I don’t like cherry clafoutis…I think you get the point.

Well, that didn't account for the incredible talent of our collective gastronomic boyfriend Pierre Hermé. A few weeks ago, back when the weather was still gray and rainy, I finally made it into his abode on Rue Bonaparte, after having passed the store countless times without ever setting foot in it. And friends, I made a great discovery. I bought various macarons and an Ispahan. This pastry, as I told one of my blog-godmothers Marion, intrigued me because I’m of Iranian origins. I wanted to try it out, especially since there are no lychees in Iran. (The mystery surrounding its name was resolved when I read a PH interview somewhere in which he stated that the name was inspired by the rose flavor in the cake – there is actually a rose named the Ispahan rose since it comes from there and which is absolutely spectacular both to sight and smell). But I digress…
So I got an Ispahan, and amongst the macarons, a macaron Mosaïc, that is “vanilla macaron biscuit, pistachio and cinnamon cream, morello cherries.” I was sceptical, but I adore pistachio, I love cinnamon and I love cherries, and…I am a gourmande after all.

It was de-li-cious. DE-LI-CIOUS. The melting vanilla macaron, the light pistachio and cinnamon cream (I actually think it’s the cinnamon that ties it all together), the little tart note of the morello cherries and their slight crackle with the surrounding softness of the other items. So delicious that I’m considering making it a little weekly habit…

Between the 12th and the 24th of June, it’s Mosaïc Mania at Pierre Hermé. Which means there are ten variations (cakes, tarts, ice cream, candy) on the theme in the store. There’s a Millefeuille, a crisp Cherry and Pistachio Tart (note: crisp is not really a proper translation of croustillant, it’s in the right spirit, but it doesn’t convey the range of experience that croustillant does), an Emotion, a Sensation, a Surprise, a Cheesecake, a Miss Gla’Gla, and another ice cream, and Fruit Drops, and of course, the macarons. So I swung by there yesterday with a friend, and had a terrible time picking something out, but in the end, the Millefeuille being slightly too big for me (though apparently the most popular of the variations, there was only one left at 3PM to the six or eight of the other variations), I chose an Emotion (“Morello cherries in cherry gelée, pistachio gelée, pistachio mascarpone cream”), and a crisp Cherry and Pistachio tart (“savory pastry crust, pistachio almond cream, morello and black cherries, cardamom crumble”).

So here is my report: the verrine (little glass) was, unfortunately, average; I didn’t find anything special about it and I wouldn’t get it again. The way one had to eat it given its design (layered), all the flavors pooled together at the first spoon-inflicted dent, and it was impossible to appreciate each layer for its taste and what it added to the subsequent layer and to the whole. On the other hand, the tart was succulent, especially because of the little exotic touch brought by the cardamom-flavored crumble, which replaced the cinnamon. I slowly savored it, trying to catalog each different flavor and texture so that I could try to reproduce this little bit of happiness at home.
Of note, after the 24th of June, there will still be Mosaïc dessert variations available at PH, but only as a function of the availability of their ingredients. Makes sense. The Mosaïc Macaron is always available.


En Français…

J’ai eu une révélation tout récemment à propos des cerises dans les trucs.
Je m’explique : Je n’aime pas les cerises dans les trucs. Je les adore toutes seules, mais je n’ai jamais aimé les gâteaux où les pâtisseries qui ont des cerises dedans. J’ai goûté une fois à cette glace fétiche de Ben & Jerry’s nommée Cherry Garcia et je n’en ai plus jamais mangé. Je n’aime pas les cakes anglais avec des cerises séchées, je n’aime pas les clafoutis aux cerises, bref, je pense que je me suis fait comprendre.

Eh bien, c’était sans compter les grands talents de nôtre petit copain gastronomique à toutes, Pierre Hermé. Il y a quelques semaines, alors que le temps était encore pluvieux et grisâtre, je me suis finalement arrêté chez lui Rue Bonaparte, après être passée devant la boutique maintes fois sans y entrer. Et mes amis, j’ai fait une grande découverte. J’ai pris quelques macarons de variétés différentes et un Ispahan. Ce gâteau, comme je l’ai raconté à une de mes blog-marraine Marion, m’intriguait parce que je suis d’origine iranienne. J’ai donc voulu l’essayer d’autant plus qu’il n’y a pas de litchis en Iran. (L’énigme a été résolu quand j’ai lu une interview de PH quelque part où il disait avoir été inspiré de ce nom par le goût de rose présent dans ce gâteau – il y a justement une rose nommée l’Ispahan car originaire de la ville et d’ailleurs tout à fait spectaculaire à la vue et à l’odorat). Mais je digresse…
J’ai donc pris un Ispahan, et parmi les macarons, un macaron Mosaïc, cad « biscuit macaron vanille, crème pistache à la cannelle, griottines .» J’étais sceptique, mais j’adore la pistache, j’aime la cannelle, et j’aime les cerises, et puis…je suis une gourmande.

Et c’était…dé-li-cieux. DE-LI-CIEUX. Le macaron fondant à la vanille, la crème légère à la pistache et cannelle (en fait je pense que c’est la cannelle qui lie le tout ensemble), la petite touche acidulée des griottines et le mordant de celles-ci mêlé au coulant du reste. Tellement délicieux que je pense à en faire une petite habitude hebdomadaire…

Il se trouve qu’entre le 12 et le 24 Juin, c’est Mosaïc Mania chez PH. Ce qui veut dire dix déclinaisons (gâteaux, glace, tarte, confiserie) du thème dans la boutique. Il y a un Millefeuille, une Tarte croustillante aux Cerises et Pistaches, un Emotion, un Sensation, un Surprise, un Cheese-Cake, un Miss Gla’Gla, une Glace, et une Pâte de Fruits, et évidemment les macarons. Alors je suis allée faire un petit tour par là-bas hier avec une amie, et j’ai eu bien du mal à décider, mais en fin de compte, le millefeuille étant un peu trop grand pour moi (mais très populaire apparemment, il en restait un seul à 15h contre les six ou huit des autres variétés), j’ai choisi un Emotion (« cerises griottes à la gelée de griottes, gelée de pistaches, crème de mascarpone à la pistache »), et une Tarte croustillante aux Cerises et Pistaches (« pâte brisée, crème d’amande à la pistache, griottes et cerises noires, crumble à la cardamome »).

Donc voici mon petit rapport : la verrine était moyenne malheureusement, je n’y ai trouvé rien de particulier et je n’en reprendrais pas. Ca se mangeait assez inhabilement de par sa construction, c’est un peu difficile à expliquer, mais comme tous les goûts se sont mélangés au premier coup de cuillère, je n’ai pas pu apprécier ce que les saveurs différentes contribuaient les unes aux autres et au tout. En revanche, la tarte était succulente, surtout avec la petite note apportée par la cardamome dans le crumble, et qui a pris la place de la cannelle. Je l’ai mangé tout doucement en essayant de me souvenir les textures et goûts différents pour pouvoir essayer de reproduire cette petite touche de bonheur à la maison.
A savoir, après le 24 Juin, il y aura encore des variétés différentes de desserts Mosaïc chez PH, tout simplement il n’y aura plus toutes les variétés en même temps et les gâteaux seront présents en fonction de la disponibilité de leurs ingrédients. Logique. Le Macaron Mosaïc, lui, est toujours disponible.

Bookmark and Share

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Je confirme que cette alliance est absolument irrésistible, et que grâce à ta 2ème marrainej'ai eu le privilège de goûter à ce macaron fabuleux ...
On y va quand ? :op

Gracianne said...

Bonjour Hilda. Quel joli blog tu as, une belle addition à la blogomiam. Bonne continuation.

Helene said...

Meme si elles n'etaient que moyennes, elles en jettent pas mal ces verrines!

Hilda said...

Marion: Quand tu veux, mais ça tu le sais déjà... =)

Gracianne: Quel plaisir de t'accueuillir, je viens chez toi souvent. En espérant te revoir...

Tartelette: merci du compliment. =)

Unknown said...

Hi
I love kookoo sabzi, just put up my recipe for it on my web site with a photo of it, looks pretty much like yours,we had it this weekend. I like cooking it with fresh herbs, it tastes better but have been forced to cook it with dried herbs before and its not bad at all. Next time when cooking it, try putting a small handful of Zereshk(berberry seeds) in it, it tastes and look better. I Love kookoo and there is no shortage of them in Persian food.I am thinking of putting the whole range up:-)I have some persian recipes on my site, mainly from northern Iran as i grow up there. feel free to have a look and comment. The blog looks wonderful by the way and will be back for some more later.
XX Matin www.toothfairyrecipes.com

Pat said...

I haven't eaten many things with cherries but I guess my favorite would be cherry cheesecake.

Unknown said...

I do not like cherries, but the macaron sounds yummy.

Jeanne said...

I think my first Isphahan from PH changed my life. Really. I'm sure I also had the Mosaic macaron. They also had a Campari & Pamplemousse one in the summer of 2005 that was to die for.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

comment comment. thanks for the good work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails